In this lesson, students learn about influential leaders from the 20th century and their work. Students choose an individual of interest (on their own or from a provided list) and then research specific information about them, creating a presentation in Microsoft PowerPoint, Google Slides or using a Web 2.0 tool. Teacher and student resources are provided for the lesson, along with full instructions and project expectation, including a grading rubric. A list of famous people from the 20th Century is included separately for student choice (or students can choose an individual of interest on their own). This list is also included as a sign-up sheet in case the teacher wants each student to do a different person. Two versions of the lesson are included to let teachers decide if they prefer to have students use the more traditional presentation tools of Microsoft Office or Google Slides or, if they prefer to give students a choice of those and various free Web 2.0 tools such as Prezi, eMaze, or Canva. Links for tutorials are provided for all suggested software choices in the student resources.
This lesson can be completed individually, in pairs or in groups, depending on the teacher’s preference. All resources are fully editable, so that it can be easily modified for any classroom.
Perfect for business, history, social studies or career exploration classes. This lesson was designed for middle school (grades 6-8) but could be used in any secondary classroom.
- Computers with Internet access for each student (or pair of students)
- Software such as Microsoft PowerPoint or Google Slides (optional – Web 2.0 tools may be used)
- Teacher & Student Resources
- Student instructions, expectations and grading rubric – MS PowerPoint/Google Slides
- Student instructions, expectations and grading rubric – Choice of Web 2.0 tools, Microsoft PowerPoint or Google Slides
- Suggested list of famous people of the 20th Century for students
- Sign up sheet for famous people
Approximate Lesson Duration:
- 2-3 (50 minute) class periods
- Additional time for classroom presentation (optional and duration will depend on class size)
Total Pages = 11
See a preview of this product