In this lesson, students learn interesting facts about the history of jazz as they complete several projects including a WebQuest (Internet Scavenger Hunt) to answer questions about the topic. A complete answer key is provided for the WebQuest for easy grading, along with resources for both teachers and students. The student questions are included in both a print version and a digital (editable) version to make it easy for students to complete the lesson digitally or on paper. Also included with this lesson is a word search puzzle that includes an answer key, perfect for early finishers or as a part of the lesson. Finally, students research their choice of a jazz musician and create a presentation about their contributions to the field of jazz using their choice of Microsoft PowerPoint or Google Slides.
This lesson is intended to be an introduction to the topic and was designed for middle school (grades 6-8) but could be used in high school as well. This lesson could be used in a music, history or technology class and is also a great lesson to leave for a substitute teacher!
- Teacher & Student Resources
- The History of Jazz WebQuest Activity (print and editable digital files
- The History of Jazz WebQuest Answer Key
- Word Search Puzzle – The History of Jazz Vocabulary (includes answer key)
- The History of Jazz Presentation Project Expectations with Rubric
Approximate Lesson Duration:
- WebQuest – 1 (50 minute) class period
- Word Search Puzzle – 15 minutes
- Presentation Project (including research) – 1.5 -3 (50 minute) class periods
- Optional: additional time for students to present their project to the class (time will vary depending on class size).
See a preview of this product.